Most days, I’m a big fan of the entire process of cooking. The whole peeling, slicing, steaming, baking, braising, parboiling, deep-frying, grilling, roasting shebang. But some days, a 30-minute meal seems like 25 too many.
That’s a sandwich day.
Since today’s Meatless Monday, I wanted to share a sandwich that’s truly vegetarian – not just a regular sandwich without the meat – because when you’re going meatless, it’s incredibly easy to get stuck in the “Can I get a turkey and cheese sandwich without the turkey?” rut. This Hummus Vegetable Sandwich has thick, creamy hummus on one slice of whole wheat; a somewhat pungent black olive tapenade on the other. In between, you get the raw crunch of thinly sliced cucumber and the sweet chewiness of grated carrot. Together, they give you a sandwich that’s defined by its own perfect balance of textures and flavors. Not by the absence of turkey.
Looking for more meatless meal ideas? Check out these links:
- Beer Waffles with Cinnamon-Caramel Apples – Brown Eyed Baker
- Fresh Corn-and-Asiago Cheese Bread Pudding – Tennessee Locavore
- Heirloom Tomato, Olive and Goat Cheese Tart – Bitchin’ Camero
- Roasted Vegetable Galettes – The Baking Barrister
- Sundried Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Closet Cooking
- Zucchini and Ricotta Fritters – Pink Parsley
Hummus Vegetable Sandwich
If you’re packing this sandwich for lunch, wrap it in wax paper instead of plastic wrap. It’ll prevent the bread from absorbing too much moisture and keep the sandwich fresher.
Adapted from “Everyday Food” (May/June 2003)
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup hummus (homemade or store-bought, any flavor)
- 1 tablespoon black olive tapenade, homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 coarsely grated carrot
- Spread 1 slice bread with hummus; spread remaining slice of bread with tapenade.
- Top hummus with cucumber slices and carrot. Place bread with tapenade on top to form a sandwich.
8 thoughts on “Meatless Monday: Hummus Vegetable Sandwich”
This is one of my favourites. The grated carrot makes all te difference. Yum
This looks really great! Seems like the tapenade would really be great on it!
Oh how delicious! Hummus and vegetables are always a wonderful pair :)
Love hummus and vegetable sandwiches SO much. They're my go-to sandwich when I don't know what to eat for lunch. And thank you for the link!
A meat sandwich without the meat , or anything to replace it, is usually a bad idea, because it means that you are lacking essential protein.
Hummus is a good replacement for days when you want to go without the meat.
Thanks! I made this (with a few modifications) for dinner and it was amazing. Definitely my favorite sandwich now.
Thanks for the shout-out! Your blog is one of my absolute favorites!
Comments are closed.