A few months ago, someone from Spike Your Juice™ asked if I wanted to try one of their kits. A kit that she said would transform the wholesome all-natural juice of my choice into fizzalicious boozy booze.
So, in the name of science and for the good of the land, I said, “Hell yeah!”
The process is simple. Pick up a 64-ounce bottle of your favorite all-natural juice (I chose a store-brand, ultra-cheap White Grape-Peach), pour the magical Spike Your Juice™ powder inside (it’s yeast, organic evaporated cane juice and an emulsifier), and seal it with an airlock and rubber stopper for at least 48 hours. Go, Science!
After the 48-hour wait, you taste it. If you like the flavor, you can seal it with the rubber stopper and chill it in the fridge. If you’d like something stronger, drier and tarter, reseal the bottle and keep waiting and sampling.
How does it taste? Really bright, fruity and fizzy, like a sparkling wine.
The kit might sound a little gimmicky, but it was developed by European expats living in California who were craving their homeland’s Federweisser – a “new wine” made only in September and October out of fresh grapes. It’s sold while the grape juice is still fermenting, so it’s meant to be enjoyed immediately if not sooner – not stored.
Ready to make your own sparkling pomegranate, cranberry, grape or other juice?
These kits sell for about $10 each at SpikeYourJuice.com, but you can win one here!
The kit includes:
- 6 packets (enough for six 64-ounce bottles of juice)
- 6 bottle labels (for clearly marking your spiked juice, as well as the date)
- 1 airlock
- 1 rubber stopper
- Instructions and recipes (e.g. Spike Sangria, Spike Fireside, Spike Ice Cubes)
Here are THE CONTEST RULES:
1. You MUST BE age 21 or over to qualify. By entering this contest in the comments section below, you are verifying that you are at least 21 years old.
2. Enter by 2 p.m. CST, Friday, Aug. 6. (I’ll announce the winner by 4 p.m. CST that day.)
3. To enter, answer the following question:
What’s your favorite trashy summer TV show?